When the weather gets nice and the BBQs are dusted off, my family like to get together to enjoy the weather and good food. They’re incredibly accommodating of my diet, always cooking my bits first, cleaning the grill, using separate tongs etc, so I like to thank them by making one of my favourite desserts!
Anyone who follows me on Twitter (@CoeliacDelight) will know how much I LOVE Total Greek Yoghurt. I use it for everything- pasta sauce, in fajitas, as a dip (it makes great Tzatziki), as a snack with fruit, in smoothies- the list goes on and on. So when I noticed that they had a recipe for ‘cheese’ cake on their website I was amazed- combining something good for me with my favourite dessert?
I’ve put my own spin on the recipe a couple of times now, and each time I make it my gluten-eating family are amazed. In fact, I’ve been told it’s nicer than a regular cheesecake!
Bailey’s and Chocolate ‘Cheese’ Cake
20g unsalted butter ( I added extra for a more moist base)
175g Digestive Biscuits, crushed (I used Sainsbury’s FreeFrom brand)
3 tbsp ground almonds
3 tbsp maple syrup (I used this Hale & Hearty Agave Syrup which is lower calorie & diabetic friendly)
250g Total Greek Yoghurt
150g Dark chocolate
Raspberries & almonds (toasted) to decorate
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Mix in the biscuits, ground almonds and maple syrup until well combined.
2. Press into the tin and chill.
3. Whisk together the yoghurt and Bailey’s in a bowl until well combined and smooth.
4. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of water, stirring continuously. Then fold into the yoghurt until fully mixed.
5. Spoon on top of the base, then chill for at least two hours.
6. Remove from the tin and press the toasted almonds in to the sides of the cake and top with the raspberries.
White Chocolate and Raspberry ‘Cheese’ cake
Follow the recipe as above, but replace the following:
Dark chocolate with white chocolate- I like using Green & Black’s White Chocolate bar, which has vanilla seeds in it.
Bailey’s with vanilla essence
Almonds with chopped hazelnuts